There is only a slight percentage difference between the amount of people who recycle and the number of those who don’t.


  • 50% of global respondents have recycling centers established by their governments.
  • The majority (29%) of participants have their garbage collected daily.
  • 55% of households recycle while 45% do not.

Recycling is a key component of a sustainable world. The practice garnered support from many advocates from as early as Plato to the modern Woody Harrelson. It’s a good way to show that you care for the environment—and we’ve seen progress. This survey aims to know how far we have gotten in waste management, particularly with more focus on recycling.

In this article, the Real Research team analyzed a number of respondents from around the world. The team handpicked several questions that can give insights as to how households managed their waste. We also measured the difference in the percentage of people who recycle and who didn’t.

Governments on Recycling and Waste Management

Our data show that slightly more than half (50.55%) of participants say that their local governments established recycling centers for their community. 22.36% had recycling bins distributed for each home, and 18% of the respondents have been encouraged by officials to segregate their trash before the collection. This shows that governments take environmental issues seriously, and the officials are actually active when it comes to waste.

Does your local government have ongoing waste management projects aside from garbage collection?

On the other hand, less than 6% have their garbage only collected, less than 3% are not aware of how their waste is managed, and less than 1% have no idea. This goes to show that only a small percentage does not have waste management protocols.

How Often Is Garbage Collected?

The data we gathered shows that only a point short of 29% have their garbage collected daily. 14% answered that garbage collectors come twice a week, and almost 25%, the second-largest percentage, have a schedule of thrice a week. The third-largest segment (18%) have their garbage collected weekly. Almost 10% answered that their schedule is every two weeks. Meanwhile, the smallest percentage (3%) mentions that their garbage is collected monthly.

What is the schedule of the garbage collection?

The more frequent the garbage collection is, the better the waste management is. While it’s not easy to make an analysis based on the data showed below, we can safely say that most respondents have very good garbage collection schedules (daily, twice a week, and thrice a week).

People Who Recycle Versus People Who Don’t

There is only a slight percentage difference between the amount of people who recycle and the number of those who don’t. 55% of respondents answered “yes” when asked the question “do you and your household recycle?”. On the other hand, about 45% answered that they do not recycle.

do you and your household recycle?

Almost 40% of the participants mentioned that it is mandated by their governments to recycle. Some (16%) choose to recycle even though it’s not required. The second-largest segment (22%) says that they are not recycling, and it’s not mandatory for them. Meanwhile, almost 14% say they will comply—if it’s required. A smaller number (7%) is apathetic to the issue and show no concern.


Insights derived from Real Research’s “Household Waste Management” survey fielded in November 2020 to 3000 respondents of all ages.

Read Also: Millennial Gamers Balance Work and Play