In this new era of free information, people are searching for real news and the real truth. Unfortunately, news stories are not always factual, there can be fake news stories with alternative facts. Therefore, this insight is a summary of key findings from a recent survey on the credibility and recognition of global news media.
People always want to stay informed about what is happening in their surroundings. In the end, this has an impact on their daily lives. In most cases, global news media outlets are the main sources for transmitting the information. Therefore, find out in this insight the public opinion on the credibility and recognition of global news media.
- In global media, 43.72% read most information from the world news section
- BBC world news is selected as the most reliable global news outlet in five categories (Global, political, economic, technology/science, and entertainment news)
- When evaluating global media credibility, 49.22% check whether the media outlets convey diverse opinions from different perspectives
- 16% consider the media outlet’s fairness as an important factor when acquiring news information
- BBC picked as the most favored global media outlet by 31.95%
43.72% Acquire Most News Information From the World News Section
Global media outlets have diverse news sections. Without a doubt, individuals do not read all sections equally in news media network platforms. They have a section they most prefer getting their information from. The Real Research results show that the majority (43.72%) get their information from the world news section.
Notably, most individuals are eager to know what is happening in the world in terms of politics. Thus, the following section mostly read after world news is politics (15.76%). Thereafter, comes business with 13.12%. Additionally, the health and entertainment sections have 7.60% and 7.36% respectively.
While readers navigate across various news media network platforms, they also have their preferred forums to acquire news. Among the options given on the Real Research online survey application the majority, 31.79% prefer getting news information on television.
Following then 19.05% prefer getting news information online. Next is print (newspaper, magazine, etc.) with 17.31%. Amazingly, radio has 13.38% then social media with 12.76%.
BBC Selected as the Most Reliable Global News Outlet in Five Categories
Global news media outlets have diverse news categories. Therefore, Real Research asked respondents their opinion regarding reliability in various news categories. Interestingly, BBC took the lead in five categories. Below is the breakdown of the results.
1. Global news: The most trusted news network in terms of global news is BBC chosen by 40.43%. Surprisingly, people even trust BBC for reliable global news more than they trust their own local news platforms. CNN comes after BBC with 16.38%. CNBC (10.54%), The Guardian (8.11%), CCTV (4.42%), The Times of India (4.58%), and News24 (2.54%).
2. Political news: Likewise, once again BBC got the highest percentage (36.51%) as the most reliable in terms of political news. Out of the 22 other options once again, BBC gets to be the most trusted news network in terms of politics. Following after in politics is CNN (18.93%), CNBC (11.28%%), The Guardian (9.39%), CCTV (4.52%), The Times of India (4.32%), and News24 (2.18%).
3. Economic news: Similar to the above, BBC got selected as the most reliable in terms of economic news. The results reinforce that BBC is the most trusted news network worldwide for news information. In this category, the top list comprises BBC (36.21%), (CNN (16.79%). CNBC (11.85%), The Guardian (9.80%), CCTV (4.74%), The Times of India (4.74%), and The Economist (3.13%).
4. Technology/science news: Relevance is the paramount driver for news consumption across the globe. Hence, BBC took the lead in this category as most readers see the relevance in getting information about technology and science on BBC.
In the technology/science category BBC has (34.35%), (CNN (18.41%), CNBC (11.47%), The Guardian (10.16%), CCTV (5.53%), The Times of India (4.68%), and News24 (1.57%).
5. Entertainment news: In conclusion to BBC getting the most awards in this survey is the entertainment news category. The majority 34.80% note that BBC is the most reliable in terms of entertainment news.
On another note, ESPN took the trophy as the most reliable in terms of sports news with 40.70%. Following after is sports illustrated 16.64% and Reddit Sports with 11.11%.
Checking Global Media Credibility
How do respondents evaluate the credibility of certain global media outlets? 49.22% check whether the media outlets convey diverse opinions from different perspectives. Also, to check the credibility and recognition of global news media outlets 23.12% say they search on whether the media outlet sheds light on social minorities.
9.87% check on whether the media outlet has a history of broadcasting the governments’ corruption. The credibility and recognition of global news media outlets have been questioned a lot as of late. However, there are always factors to consider important when checking news media outlets.
Which factor do you consider as most important when deciding which media outlet you wish to get information from? The majority note media outlet’s fairness as an important factor to consider when deciding which media outlet to get information from.
Honest news networks report fairly and are not biased hence 31.16% consider media outlet fairness. The news content’s diversity (23.81%), the preference of people around me (18.92%), and accuracy of the news content (10.53%).
BBC Picked as the Most Favoured Global Media Outlet
31.95% of the respondents on the real research online survey app picked BBC as their most favored global media outlet. This comes as no surprise as BBC took the lead in the most reliable news sections. Next came, CNN (31.95%), CNBC (16.73%), The Guardian (12.34%), CCTV (5.68%), The Times of India (6.04%), and News24 (1.73%).
In conclusion, people are living in a news-saturated world of information. Therefore, people often feel sufficiently informed about major ongoing news stories if media outlets convey reliable news. BBC world news gets the most credit as an honest news network across the globe.
BBC, by far, gets the most traction when it comes to both its online and offline publications. It also takes the highest spot for publishing trustworthy news. In addition, it even ranks the highest in terms of credibility when it comes to multiple news sections. Meanwhile, ESPN took the lead in sports news as being the most reliable.
|Survey Title||Public Survey on the Credibility and Recognition of Global News Media|
|Duration||June 14 – 21, 2021|
|Number of Participants||150,000|
|Demographics||Males and females, aged 21 and above|
|Participating Countries||Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Bosni,…Brazil, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong-kong), Colombia, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, France, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Libya, Lithuania, Macedonia, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Singapore, Slovakia, Somalia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.