Disney stated that it would begin its Disney Plus password-sharing crackdown this summer. Disney Chief Financial Officer Hugh Johnston said Disney Plus accounts suspected of improper sharing will see an option to sign up for their own subscription.

Furthermore, Disney will permit sharing accounts with individuals outside of the primary account holder’s household, subject to an extra fee. However, the fee for this feature wasn’t disclosed.  

Online survey app Real Research surveyed this to get people’s opinions on this crackdown on password-sharing, and here are the results.


  • 68.78% watch movies on Disney’s streaming platform.
  • 51.50% think that Disney’s new policy to deter sharing was extremely effective.
  • 65.56% liked streaming services that allowed them to share passwords

Disney Plus Password-Sharing Crackdown

68.78% stated that they watch movies on Disney’s streaming platform, Disney Plus. However, 31.22% don’t. The Disney Plus password-sharing crackdown was not something new, as 46.22% stated that they were aware of it. On the other hand, 39% were vaguely aware of Disney+ Password-Sharing and 14.78% weren’t aware.

Disney Chief Financial Officer Hugh Johnston said Disney Plus accounts “suspected of improper sharing” will see an option to sign up for their own subscription. More than half of the respondents (51.50%) stated that Disney’s new policy was extremely effective for deterring sharing, while 39.44% thought it was somewhat effective. Less than 10% thought it was not at all effective.

Fig. 1: Opinion on Deterring Sharing

How Will Disney+ Implement “Password-Sharing Crackdown”?

Disney will allow account holders to add people who are not their household members for an additional fee. This new service is termed “paid sharing.” 69.26% think that the paid-sharing service will affect people’s decisions to subscribe or to continue subscribing. 30.74% disagreed.

Fig. 2: Willingness to subscribe after the “paid sharing” feature

Real Research inquired about the likelihood of the Disney Plus Password-Sharing Crackdown affecting the subscriber base. 27.68% indicated a high probability that the crackdown would affect the subscriber base. 44.30% stated that it was somewhat likely, 4.08% stated it was highly unlikely, and 23.94% stated it was somewhat unlikely that the Disney Plus password-sharing crackdown would have an impact on the subscriber base.

Fig.3: Likelihood of Disney’s password-sharing crackdown affecting the subscriber base

65.56% liked streaming services that allowed them to share passwords, while the rest (34.44%) did not favor password-sharing streaming services.


Survey TitleSurvey on Disney Plus Password Sharing Crackdown
DurationFebruary 17 – February 24, 2024
Number of Participants5,000
DemographicsMales and females, aged 21 to 99
Participating Countries Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong) China (Macao), China (Taiwan), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greanada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Maluritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.