Another topic in Politics circulating in the news is who will be the UK’s next prime minister. Conservative legislators narrowed a large field of contenders down to two. Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak are competing for the role of the new face of British conservatism. Because both served in Johnson’s Cabinet, there has been much conjecture over who will win. However, on the surface, the option appears to be between Sunak’s fiscal responsibility and the immediate tax cuts promised by Truss.

By September, the contest between Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak will finally end. A new Conservative leader will take the oath and become the next UK prime minister. Real Research, an online survey app, launched a survey to gather public opinion on the UK’s next prime minister. Here are the results.


  • 75.78% are aware of the two candidates, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak, up for election as the UK’s next prime minister
  • 68.84% think being a man of color would favor Rishi Sunak to win the UK Prime Minister election
  • 64.58% predict Rishi Sunak as the UK’s next prime minister

Man of Color vs. Woman

Lawmakers from the Conservative party have whittled down a wide field of candidates to become the UK’s next prime minister to foreign minister Lizz Truss and former finance minister Rishi Sunak. Accordingly, the survey reveals that the majority (75.78%) are aware of it. On the other hand, only 24.22% are unaware of the contenders for the UK Prime Minister election.

Figure 1: Percentage of respondents aware of the two candidates for UK Prime Minister

The UK’s next prime minister definitely would not be a white man. Should Sunak win, he would be Britain’s first non-white prime minister. If Truss, she would be the third female prime minister. In this case, 68.84% think this would favor Sunak, a man of color of South Asian heritage, over Truss (31.16%), who is a woman.

Also Read: Survey on India’s First Tribal President Droupadi Murmu Winning The Election

The Battle of Strengths: Liz Truss vs. Rishi Sunak

Furthermore, the survey attempted to determine their greatest strength. For Sunak, the majority (41.12%) feel it is because he represents people of color, while 15.85% believe it is because he is a member of Britain’s political elite. Meanwhile, being a descendant of Indian immigrants, 13.96% regard him as socially and culturally liberal.

Figure 2: Respondents’ opinion of what Rishi Sunak’s biggest strength is

On the other hand, Truss’s chances of becoming the third female prime minister of the UK are seen positively up by 46.59% of respondents. Some (13.88%) say it is her diplomatic abilities, while others (8.48%) believe it is her leading support for Ukraine against Russia.

Also Read: 72.92% Say Age Is Vital To Run In Presidential Elections

Who Will the Next UK Prime Minister Be?

Tax policy has always been present in campaign pledges. Rishi Sunak previously recommended raising the corporate tax rate. Liz Truss, on the contrary, has stated that she will cancel corporate taxes. The survey on public opinion on the UK’s next prime minister asks about this matter. 63.39% support tax increases over tax cuts (36.61%).

Figure 3: Respondents’ opinion on who will be elected as UK’s next Prime Minister

In the end, the final question of who will be the next UK prime minister- Liz Truss vs. Rishi Sunak, 64.58% predict that predict Rishi Sunak will win. Whereas, the rest 35.42% anticipate Liz Truss would win.


Survey TitlePublic Opinion on the UK’s Next Prime Minister
DurationJuly 24- July 31, 2022
Number of Participants50,000
DemographicsMales and females, aged 21 to 99
Participating Countries Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong) China (Macao), China (Taiwan), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greanada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Maluritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.