Since Elon Musk acquired Twitter, various changes have been implemented, including the purchasable blue verification checks, reinstatement of suspended accounts, and the plan to adopt a new content moderation council.

Whether these changes mentioned above be the reasons or not, there is a growing number of companies halting advertising on Twitter after the social media platform was acquired by Musk for $44B.

Musk said that Twitter had seen a “drop in revenue” because activists pushed advertisers to leave the platform “even though nothing has changed with content moderation.”

The growing exodus of advertisers concerns Musk, and a survey launched by Real Research, an online survey app, attempted to gather what society thinks and expects to happen further.

Seven in Ten Are Fully Aware of the Changes in Twitter

Another 22.91% of survey respondents are aware of some of the changes on Twitter since Elon Musk’s takeover, while the rest (7.05%) are unaware.

The survey on Elon Musk’s feud with Apple over Twitter advertising further highlights the following:

  • Apple ceased advertising activities on Twitter because of Elon Musk’s takeover, say 16.19%
  • 34.62% of survey respondents still prefer the previous content moderation policy
  • 50.58% believe the new content moderation rules have led to companies halting advertisements on Twitter

One of Twitter’s primary revenue sources is advertising. With the recently reported drop in advertising revenues on Twitter, the survey asked if respondents are aware of companies halting advertising on Twitter. 9 in 10 (90.88%) are, and the rest (9.12%) are not.

Twitter vs. Apple

In a series of tweets, Elon Musk stated, “Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter” and accused Apple of threatening to withhold Twitter from its App Store. Respondents (47.45%) see that it is highly possible that Twitter could be removed from the App Store. 29.53% see it as somewhat possible, while 14.1% think it is unlikely to happen.

Figure 1: The likelihood of Twitter being removed from Apple’s App Store

Considering it might happen, the survey asked, “how would Twitter’s removal from the App store affect the social media platform?”

Responses vary from greatly (36.44%), moderately (32.27%), to barely (20.96%), while 9.08% say Twitter will remain unaffected.

Apple, Twitter’s top advertiser, halted advertising activities. The survey asked respondents what they see as the main reason why Apple ceased advertising activities on Twitter.

The majority of respondents (16.19%) blame Elon Musk’s takeover, while others pin it on the changes in content moderation (15.1%) and the fear of negative association with Twitter (12.93%).

Twitter’s Content Moderation Rules

Twitter is officially under the Elon Musk era of content moderation. However, 34.62% of survey respondents still prefer the previous content moderation policy, while 31.54% prefer the new “content moderation” following Musk’s Twitter takeover.

Figure 2: Respondents’ preference on Twitter’s content moderation rules

Several other brands have paused advertising, not only Apple. Respondents cited some of the companies halting advertising on Twitter. On top, 38.12% are aware of Apple, followed by Volkswagen (17.85%), General Motors (11.1%), and General Mills (5.26%).

Over half (50.58%) of respondents believe it is highly likely that these companies halting advertising on Twitter are caused by the new content moderation rules. A further 25.8% say it is somewhat the reason and only 2.53% say it is unlikely to be the reason.

Views on Companies Halting Advertising on Twitter

53.2% support halting advertising on Twitter, and the rest (46.8%) are against it.

Figure 3: Respondents’ stance on halting advertising on Twitter

Reportedly, 90% of Twitter’s $5B revenue came from advertising. In light of companies halting advertising on Twitter, 58.14% see Twitter’s revenue decline heavily. Others expect it to decline moderately (24.95%) or slightly (9.32%).

In general, 30.33% foresee Twitter’s future to be very stable. 25.7% expect it to be moderately stable, in contrast to 27.39% anticipating it to be somewhat unstable.


Survey TitleSurvey on Elon Musk’s Feud With Apple Over Twitter Advertising
DurationNovember 30 – December 07, 2022
Number of Participants20,000
DemographicsMales and females, aged 21 to 99
Participating Countries Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong) China (Macao), China (Taiwan), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greanada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Maluritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.