It has been over four months since Israel escalated the conflict in Palestine, bombing the Gaza Strip continuously. Since then, approximately 30,000 Palestinians have died, and over 1.3 million people have left Gaza to seek refuge in Rafah, a town in the southern Gaza Strip.

However, Israel bombed the Rafah refugee camp and is planning for a potential ground offensive. To understand more about the public’s perception of Israel’s actions, the online survey app Real Research launched a survey, and here are the results.


  • 92.4% were concerned about Israel attacking Rafah.
  • Israel’s response to Hamas is disproportionate, according to 86.78%
  • 73.38% believe a ceasefire is strongly needed in Gaza and Rafah.

Survey on Israel Attacking Rafah

After weeks of bombing Rafah, a city in the southern Gaza Strip, Israel’s Prime Minister has ordered the evacuation of the city. However, Rafah was a refugee camp for Palestinians whose homes were destroyed by Israel.

The majority (55.72%) were well aware of Israel’s evacuation plans; 33.52% were vaguely aware; and 10.76% weren’t aware at all.

Is Israel Blinded By Rage?

Israel plans for a ground offensive and claims the alternative is to surrender to Hamas, and according to the Israeli military spokesperson, “That is not an option from Israel’s perspective.”

The majority of the world leaders opposed Israel attacking Rafah, with the Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani saying that Israel’s response to Hamas is “disproportionate” and that “there are too many dead Palestinian civilians who are not Hamas militiamen. 44.14% somewhat agree, 42.64% strongly agree, 10.24% somewhat disagree, and 2.98% strongly disagree.

Figure 1: Agreement that Israel’s response to Hamas is “disproportionate”

Agreeing with the Italian official, Ireland’s prime minister added that Israel is becoming “blinded by rage.” 65.82% agree with Ireland’s prime minister, and 34.18% don’t.

Majority Concerned Over the Attack

Over 1.3 million people are now in the tent city packed against the Egyptian border in Rafah, the only safe space for Palestinians fleeing the north and center of Gaza. The possibility of Israel attacking Rafah in a ground attack is strongly concerning to 47.32%, somewhat concerning to 45.08%, and not concerning at all to 7.6%.

Figure 2: Concern over Israel attacking Rafah

What Should Happen?

73.38% believe that a ceasefire is urgently needed to be implemented in Rafah and Gaza. In detail, 38.82% claimed it was strongly urgent, 34.56% thought it was somewhat urgent, and 26.62% didn’t believe it was urgent at all.

Figure 3: Urgency to implement a ceasefire in Gaza and Rafah

Furthermore, according to 69.32%, Israel’s actions in Rafah could be considered a violation of international law. On the other hand, 30.68% didn’t share the same opinion. To prevent further escalation in Rafah, 71.74% claimed that an international intervention is necessary, while 28.26% opposed.


Survey TitleSurvey on Israel Attacking Rafah
DurationFebruary 16 – February 23, 2023
Number of Participants5,000
DemographicsMales and females, aged 21 to 99
Participating Countries Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong) China (Macao), China (Taiwan), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greanada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Maluritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.