The visit of United States House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Taiwan has raised several controversies. Despite her remark emphasizing “America’s determination to protect democracy in Taiwan,” her motives, whether political or not, were not evident to the public throughout her visit. People question why she chose to visit Taiwan at such a crucial moment in China-US ties when Xi Jinping is about to enter his third term as supreme leader of China and may be particularly aggressive toward Taiwan.

Her visit to Taiwan heightens China-USA tensions and risks driving the two countries farther apart. For this reason, Real Research launched a survey to gather public opinions on China-USA tensions following Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan.


  • 74.64% are aware of Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan
  • 45.06% think Pelosi’s visit was an intentional sleight against China
  • 47.88% favor China’s claims that Taiwan is a renegade province

Nancy Pelosi’s Visit to Taiwan

US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi made history and incurred China’s fury with her visit to Taiwan. Furthermore, it quickly escalated the ongoing China-USA tensions. Accordingly, the survey asks if respondents are aware of it. In answer, 74.64% are aware, leaving only 25.36% unaware of it.

Figure 1: Respondents aware of Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan

Furthermore, throughout her three decades in Congress, Pelosi has been a vocal opponent of China. In this case, the survey on China-USA tensions following Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan asks what respondents believe to be the reason for her trip. In response, most (45.06%) think it was an intentional sleight against China. Meanwhile, 19.78% say it was merely to show Taiwan support, and 13.42% feel it was a harmless visit.

The Long Battle of China for Taiwan

Figure 2: Respondents’ opinion on which country’s assertion they support

China views Taiwan as a renegade province that will inevitably return to Chinese control. On the other hand, Taiwan regards itself as an independent country. Thus, the survey asks which assertion respondents support. Here, 47.88% favor China’s claims, whereas 30.07% recognize Taiwan’s claims.

China-USA Status Quo

The long history of US unofficial relations and support to Taiwan’s democracy, providing military aid to the Island, had caused the China-USA tensions. Intensified with the recent visit of Pelosi, a lot more controversies have risen. As a result, the survey seeking public opinion on China-USA tensions following Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan asks how the respondents see this would affect the future of China-USA relations.

Figure 3: Respondents’ opinion on the China-USA relations

In return, 38.68% think China-USA’s strategic competition will intensify. In general, 15.84% expect the China-USA tensions will escalate the military and security response. A clear 15.24% feel that China-USA tensions will allow the USA to rally other free nations. Even said, 10.97% believe the conflicts that cause the China-USA tensions will be managed.

Also Read: 49.25% Think Taiwan Would Be Able To Defend Against China


Survey TitleSurvey: Public Opinion on China-USA Tensions Following Nancy Pelosi’s Visit to Taiwan
DurationAugust 06 – August 13, 2022
Number of Participants30,000
DemographicsMales and females, aged 21 to 99
Participating Countries Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong) China (Macao), China (Taiwan), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greanada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Maluritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.