Italy is commonly associated as the home of Pizzas. Recently, the popular Pizza fast food chain Domino’s pulled out of Italy. In a nutshell, Domino’s competitive advantage was Pizza delivery. However, when the pandemic made its way through Italy, many local, individual Pizza restaurants and makers began implementing delivery services too. This situation significantly bought Domino’s market share down, thus causing them to pull out of Italy.

To see what may have caused Domino’s decision and the events that lead to it, Real Research launched a survey on Domino’s Pizza’s pulling out of Italy seeking opinions on the causes, etc. The survey also aims to find preferences in society. Here are the details:


  • 68.1% have tried local Italian pizzas, whereas 73.48% have tried Domino’s
  • 68.2% also say local Italian pizzas taste better than Domino’s
  • 61.41% would prefer Domino’s Pizza

The Majority Have Tried Domino’s Pizza

Fig 1: Respondents tried Domino’s Pizza

The survey on Domino’s pulling out of Italy starts by asking respondents if they have tried Domino’s Pizza. 73.48% said yes, while 26.52% said no. Likewise, the survey also asks if respondents have tried local Italian pizzas. 68.1% said yes, while 31.9% said no.

Domino’s or Local Italian Pizza– Which Tastes Better?

The survey then asks if respondents feel the difference in the taste of local Italian pizzas from Domino’s Pizza. Here, 68.2% responded by saying local Italian pizzas are better. Whereas, 20.3% say Domino’s tastes better. 11.5%, however, say there is no big difference.

Fig 2: Respondents on Domino’s or local Italian Pizza tasting better

Recently, Domino’s pulled out of Italy. Respondents were asked if they were aware of this. 65.88% said yes, whereas 34.12% said no.

Accordingly, the survey on Domino’s pulling out of Italy also asks ‘why Domino’s failed in Italy?’ 33.95% reasoned this to the lack of taste. Moreover, 17.94% suggested high prices, whereas 10% said lack of cultural understanding from Italians proud of their local pizza. Additionally, 7.28% indicated a failure to differentiate the brand, and 7.26% suggested the American recipe did not fit Italian taste.

Others (7.05%) say the service is poor, while 7% say Domino’s competitiveness disappeared as local Pizza restaurants started delivery service.

Also Read: Survey on Pizza Brand: Pizza Hut vs Domino’s Pizza

The Final Word– Domino’s Pizza or Local Italian Pizza

Furthermore, the survey asks what respondents prefer between Domino’s Pizza and Local Italian Pizza, considering factors like taste, price, and service. A majority of 61.41% chose Domino’s, leaving 38.59% up for Local Italian Pizza.

Fig 3: Respondents on their preference– Domino’s or Local Italian Pizza

Similarly, the survey asks which renowned coffee chain Starbucks and Local Italian coffee respondents would choose, considering factors like taste, price, and service. To this, a majority of 60.53% chose Starbucks, and 39.47% chose Local Italian coffee.

Lastly, the survey on Domino’s pulling out of Italy asks which Haagen-Dazs and Local Italian gelato respondents would prefer. 56.92% say Haagen-Dazs, while 43.08% say Local Italian gelato.

Also Read: Public Overview on Starbucks Products and Prices


Survey TitleSurvey on Domino’s Pizza’s Pulling Out of Italy
DurationAugust 13- August 20, 2022
Number of Participants30,000
DemographicsMales and females, aged 21 to 99
Participating Countries Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong) China (Macao), China (Taiwan), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greanada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Maluritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.