As a long-standing culture, Brazil’s illegal hot-air ballooning has been enjoyed by its citizens. While it portrays a beautiful display and creates wonderful memories, this underground tradition shows signs of causing harm to the environment and individuals. Safety or tradition: which one should be maintained in the long run?

To further understand the communities’ point of view on this topic, Real Research, an online survey app, launched a survey on Brazil’s illegal hot-air ballooning culture.


  • Almost 6 in 10 believe Brazil’s hot-air ballooning culture could harm individuals as well as the environment.
  • 67.42% agree that traditions should be canceled if they have the potential to cause harm to the environment.
  • 65.62% claim communities should decide whether traditions need to be canceled or continued.

Brazil’s Launch of a Hot-air Balloon

This century-old tradition was followed based on historical events. Tempted by beautiful displays showcased on the hot air balloon, a thrilling competition, and a large enthusiastic crowd, the majority (62.32%) hoped for the opportunity to take part in this event.

However, at the same time, some experts have argued that Brazil’s illegal hot-air ballooning culture poses a threat to the environment as well as individuals. Around 67.82% of the respondents agreed with the experts, while 32.18% did not. 

Figure 1: Brazil’s illegal hot-air ballooning culture may pose a threat to the environment

Are Hot-air Balloons Environmentally Friendly?

Climate activists have shared concerns with hot air balloons as they use fossil fuels like propane and natural gas. Meanwhile, in Brazil’s illegal hot-air ballooning culture, certain teams fill the balloons with firecrackers and light them up, which could be dangerous.

Experts claim that the government should intervene to prevent such dangerous traditions from continuing. When asked whether the government should intervene, around 65.55% mentioned they should. While 34.34% pointed out that governments do not need to intervene.

Figure 2: Should the government stop Brazil’s hot-air balloon subculture

Tradition or Safety?

Taking the example of Brazil’s illegal hot-air ballooning culture, one of the questions circulating on social media is whether tradition should be banned to ensure safety. 65.62% claimed that communities should decide whether the traditions need to be canceled or continued. The remaining 34.38% claimed that this decision should not be made by the community.

Figure 3: Should the community decide on whether traditions need to be canceled?


Survey TitleSurvey on Brazil’s Illegal Hot-air Ballooning Culture
DurationFebruary 23 – March 1, 2024
Number of Participants5,000
DemographicsMales and females, aged 21 to 99
Participating Countries Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Benin, Bolivia, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, China (Hong Kong) China (Macao), China (Taiwan), Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Greanada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lebanon, Libya, Lithuania, Malaysia, Maldives, Maluritania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar [Burma], Namibia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Thailand, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zimbabwe.